1. Enable a calculation field to reference a sum of a column as part of the calculation
I want to be able to create a calculation column in a program plan and calculate work for that row.
1. Create a new row
2. Set the row activity name as "project overhead"
3. Establish as a program rule that there is an overhead allocation as part of the plan of record at 10% of the sum of all work hours in the project. Thus, if the total of the work column is "100", then I want the "project overhead" row to reflect "10" in its corresponding work cell. I also want the cell to be excluded from the sum calculation (otherwise we have a loop).
4. My initial take is to establish a new calculation column and then establish a calculation that grabs the "total" for the "work" column and then multiply it by .1 (in excel, this would be something like "=(sum(A2:A8,A10:A19))*.1", where A9 is the work cell for the "project overhead" row. However, this cell-level granularity is not supported in the product at this time. Then, I can say to the PM that he or she needs to take the value from the calculation cell and enter the same value in the work cell for the "project overhead" row. I do not care if the calculation cell is accurate after the POR is fixed (so adding new rows with work or increasing the work of an activity would NOT increase the overhead).
5. Note that this task is also a hammock task - so a mechanism to align both work and duration to the total of the corresponding column would be exceedingly helpful. If I did not have to tell the PM to do what I described above, this would remove some potential for expensive error.